The conception of this gun started in 2005! At that time, the great downwind races were looking promising: leaving downwind full speed onto the open sea with winds blowing above 30 kts appeared to me as the most thrilling discipline.
We have therefore developed this specific gun shape but the trend then evolved towards windward/leeward, inshore racing.
GUN Long Distance
windward/leeward, inshore racing.
Deeply passionate about the offshore courses we have carried on our developments with great results:
- Alex and Charlotte have trusted the top places on the podium of the Leucate Mondial-du-Vent long distance race for almost ten years !
- Alex has won the 2014 Defi Kite in Gruissan on the production board.
- Alex has also won countless long distance races across those years, including the Cape Town and Perth events.
- I have myself crossed the Gulf of Lion twice (100 miles per crossing) and established a record run in 2007 between France’s mainland and Corsica in 5h17min.
- These gun boards have since been used for crossings on the open ocean between Mauritius and La Reunion islands or by Serge Occhipinti between the Martinique and St Martin islands. With such a successful record, these boards have always been in demand but we were jealously keeping the secrets of their great shape! With the demand growing further recently we have decided to start a production run to satisfy all those passionate about long distance.
ON THE WATER
200 x 43,5cm, there is now doubt this gun is shaped to achieve high speeds and hold its line in tough conditions!
The board planes on its central section located between the feet featuring a locally straight rocker for speed and accelerations with a massive concave to eat the chop. The tail is slightly lifted to ease the ride in the most difficult sea states while the pronounced forward scoop helps with control and avoiding digging the nose.
A lot of work went into packing more comfort into this board as relieving the back leg pressure is absolutely necessary to maintain high speeds on distances exceeding 100km on the same tack. The board is therefore thick under the front foot but super thin under the rear foot. This helps you keep your back leg straighter which reduces the stresses. A lower volume at the back also helps with high speed control.
The board is fitted with a set of tri-fins shaped for high speed. Their moderate depth is ideal for high speeds and their placement is refined to the mm.
Equally able to maintain average speeds of 20 kts on 100miles or to reach top speeds of 30 kts this gun is the perfect weapon for all those who cannot help but head for the open seas!
DOUBLE BAMBOO DECK
An extra layer of bamboo (DOUBLE BAMBOO DECK) is located in the stance area to make the deck even more resistant to local hell pressures and dings. This results into light, strong and responsive boards to enjoy session after session.
FULL BAMBOO CONSTRUCTION
Bamboo fibers are highly resistant and really light. The FULL BAMBOO construction uses natural properties of bamboo veneers placed between fiberglass layers to create a strong, durable, light shell for the entire board (deck and bottom).
BAMBOO Sandwich technology
Our SUP boards benefit from the BAMBOO SANDWICH TECHNOLOGY construction. Every layer of bamboo is sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass or between a layer of carbon. This allows the sandwich technology to emphasize the characteristics of the bamboo. The final result is a light structure that is super strong and extremely reliable.
Because a kitesurfer does not need volume to waterstart, the volume distribution has been optimized with a concave deck. It allows to both lower the center of gravity and increase the control while reducing the thickness of the board under the front feet, without affecting the rails profiles. The concave deck provides a significant gain in controls during turns.
The Carbon Rails that frame the boards are there to optimize the stiffness and sturdiness of the board. The carbon was laid along the rails in an arc shape with the strands in a vertical position to optimize the strength and weight of the carbon fiber.
Size 6’7″ x 17″ Dimensions 200 x 43,5 cm Volume 26 L Weight 3.95 KG Fins Long distance Thruster Set